Should We Stay Or Should We Go?

>> Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When Hubby came home from work yesterday, he told me that his boss talked to him about his career options within the company. Because he is on an international assignment, much of the discussion was focused on what his training design would he should he decide to stay or should he decide to go back to Japan after his assignment contract.

He was sharing me this because he wanted me think it over in the next few days what I want and where I really want to settle down. Here in Germany or back in Japan... There are lots of pros and cons to consider on both sides and I know that I should weigh them all out well.

We had a good life in Japan... Although it was filled with challenges on my part because I never really got to learn the language, it is where we really toughed it out and where it all began for us as a family. We have friends who have become dear to us and we immensely miss them. There are also lots of conveniences that we missed while in Japan: the Sunday shopping, the fresh seafood, its geographical location.

Our present location also afforded us with lots of benefits because we are on assignment. Should we decide to stay for good, all the benefits of being on international assignment will be removed. No more company paid rent, no more free annual home trips. And because our present abode is furnished, we would need to purchase home furniture and move to a smaller and cheaper place once the assignment contract ends. Germany is also very, very far from the Philippines. The good thing about living here though is that this is where our child grew up. She has found some friends and she will also be starting school soon. I also had the opportunity to study the language and to go back to school. We also have regular meet ups with the Catholic Filipino community here so that our adjustment became easier.

I am writing this all down so that when I think again, I will have this for reference as I tend to forget things. We wouldn't want to regret our decision later because that would only make our staying or going unhappy.

Whatever decision we may come up, I hope that it will be what's best for the family.

So, what do you think? What have you got to say? Should we stay or should we go?



5 beautiful reactions:

rossel June 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

It's only you and husband who can decide. But I know whatever decision you may come up with, Christ is always with you.

I love your signature very much. It shows that you're a one true believer.

Chris June 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

i think you should stay... it seems to me, based on your post, that you guys have adjusted well in Germany already and Sam wouldn't need to adjust again... besides, you have found new friends too...

well, may God guide you as you make your decision :)

bang June 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Hi! I'm happy to see a Chemical Engineer blogger here. I am also a chemical engineering graduate from Mapua who also loves blogging.

You have a nice blog!

BTW, i wish you luck on your decision making.

God bless!

josie June 9, 2010 at 5:47 AM  

From what I see in your pros & cons, moving out has more advantage than staying, in financial aspects, when you stay and all the benefits provided by the company will be removed then it's like starting over again, you said Japan provide more convenience for you in many ways, Sam can easily adapt, the younger the better. Just my 2 cents. It still your decision, good luck!!!

Vera June 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

You and your husband have a lot of thinking to do. Goodluck and I pray that you be guided in making the best decision for your family :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP