>> Sunday, August 22, 2010
If you are an expat, away from family and friends, and all you depend upon is your monthly income, it is important to be practical. It is necessary that you know how to identify a need from a want because there is now a very fine between the two. It also pays to be frugal, to save even some cents in whatever way because every little helps.
I am no expert but since I am all about savings, I might as well give you some tips on how to save.
1. Use promo codes and coupons. Whether you are shopping online or offline, promo codes are a great way to save money. If you are looking for promo codes on a variety of items, check out www.Savings.com. I have been planning on purchasing some electronic products and I was delighted to find that there are currently Sony promo codes that I can use when I shop online.
2. Carpool. If you are just like Hubby who drives to work instead of commuting, it would be smart to go on a carpool. You could ask your colleagues to ride with you on a scheduled basis. In the case of Hubby, he and a colleague drives alternately.
3. Shop for On-Sale Goods. Here, we receive lots of promo materials in our mail. They could be a nuisance sometimes because they fill up our mailbox unnecessarily but there are lots of good deals on these brochures. There are Savings Home Depot coupons, discount coupons for various items, and goods on special offer. If you want to shop for new stuff, check out the on-sale goods. You could always get a big discount if the item is on sale.
4. Electricity, Lights, and Water. We know this is basic. This has always been what my chemistry professor says before we leave the laboratory. If it is not in use, turn it off. It helps save energy and prevents accidents too.
5. Don't be an impulsive buyer. It is okay if you treat yourself to something nice every now and then. But before you spend your money, ask first if you really need it. If you can still live or last the day without it, then don't buy it. It would also be helpful if you write a shopping list beforehand so that you don't just pick up stuff when you are at the groceries. More importantly, stick to your shopping list. That way, you won't make any unnecessary purchases.
These are just some of my tips. Here's hoping everyone financial stability and well being.